Monday, October 28, 2013

The Green Witch (or other ghoulish girl)

Halloween is fast approaching! It is my favorite holiday and I really wanted to create something more dramatic and costume-y than my previous kitty cat look... so I came up with this! Honestly my inspiration for this whole look came from the purple lashes that I used on bottom of my eyes. I bought them a few weeks ago because I loved the color and I knew I wanted to use them for Halloween. 





























This is definitely going to be a longer tutorial, but I tried to leave you with all of the information necessary. It is important to note that I did my face makeup first this time because you really need the green base to cover everything before you can do your eyes. If you don't have these types of colors in your regular makeup collection you can usually find nice, inexpensive Halloween palettes at most drugstores. 

***
Face
1. Take your foundation and mix it with some sort of green creamy pigment (I used L'oreal True Match in 'W1' as my foundation. It is too pale for me normally but it gave me the perfect 'dead' look). You can use mossy green face paint from the Halloween store, or if you are a makeup junkie like myself, you can use the green shade from the Make Up For Ever Flash Palette like I did. Apply this all over your face and down onto your neck if desired. Use a dense brush or a Beauty Blender to pat the foundation/paint onto the face. You want full coverage so that your natural skin color doesn't show through.
2. Powder your face well with a translucent setting powder, but make sure your foundation is completely dry before you do this or you will remove the green color you just laid down. I used MUFE's HD Powder.
3. Use a dark green eyeshadow (a matte or satin finish will give the best results - no glitter) to contour the face. Apply it heavily to sculpt and define the cheekbones, jawline and to shape the forehead. The darker the contour, the more sunken in and undead you will appear. 
4. Take a dark purple/plum eyeshadow and use it as blush. You can also blend it into all of the contour areas to appear bruised if you'd like.
5. Take the same dark purple shadow and contour the sides and bottom of the nose. This will separate your facial structure from the green foundation and make you look more like a character instead of a regular person.
6. While it doesn't really show in the photograph, I highlighted the center and high points of my face with a pearly green eyeshadow to add dimension.


this photo shows the colors I used, but you don't need to use these specific products to achieve the look















Eyes
1. Take a bright green eyeshadow and apply it in a rounded shape all over the eye and up through the crease. I used a green cream shadow from the Illamasqua Paranormal Palette and then I set it with a pearly green powder shadow.
2. Use the same dark green eyeshadow that you contoured your face with and place it on the inner and outer corners of the eyelid. Keep the shape rounded and dramatic but make sure the edges are blended. You can also add a little bit of the dark purple to the crease for contrast.
3. Line the upper and lower lids as well as the waterline with any black eyeliner. This will help hide the bands of the false lashes.
4. Apply mascara, then add your false lashes to the top and bottom lids. Make sure the glue is slightly tacky before you try to stick them on so they don't slide everywhere. My green lashes were from last year at Walgreens (they have an AWESOME Halloween lash selection) and my purple lashes were from Sephora but I haven't seen them in store recently.
5. Line back over the bands of the lashes with a black or dark green gel or liquid liner. I used a gel liner from Nars called 'Snake Eyes' which is a really cool green-flecked black.
6. Highlight the brow bone with a matte off-white shadow.
7. Shape and fill in your brows like normal, or curve them upwards like I did to add more character. I used a matte black eyeshadow.

Lips
Lipliner: Illamasqua Medium Pencil in 'Severe'
Lipstick: Bite Beauty Luminous Creme Lipstick in 'Cassis'
Lipstick in the center of mouth: Illamasqua Lipstick in 'Drench'

Hair
We just started carrying spray hair chalk at Sephora and I thought it would go well with the overall look, so I decided to spray some in. This is in the color 'Mint' by Bumble and Bumble.


***
A special shout-out and thank you goes to all of my Sephora cast members for voting for me and this look to help me win our store Halloween contest! Let me know if you try out this look on yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment