Some of the most frequent questions I receive are about my haircut, people want to know what it's called and how to get it! Big, soft, fluffy hair is one of my favorite things; some people think it's cool and some people make fun of me for wanting big hair, but I absolutely love my haircut and style! I owe my style to my AMAZING hair stylist (thanks Shannon!) because she knows exactly how to work with my hair so that I don't have to do much. I take a shower, let it air dry (usually as I'm sleeping) and I wake up with what you see in all of my pictures. Thankfully the cut does all the work for me, the short layers give me volume on their own, no teasing required. When I do want a little bit more oomph, these are some of the products I turn to.
* Living Proof Flex Shaping Hairspray is a soft to medium hold hairspray that helps keep loose styles in place while remaining touchable. I use it on dry hair to secure an updo or tame fly-aways.
* Bumble & Bumble Thickening Dryspun Finish is one of my favorite products to create that piecey textured look for layered hair without any crunch. I spray it upwards into dry hair and it feathers out my layers and makes my hair look super cool in a non-chalant "I woke up like this" sort of way.
* Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray is my favorite summer time hair secret. I spray it into my hair while it's damp and let it air-dry. It creates effortless, tousled waves that look like you just returned from a day at the beach. I've tried many salt-based sprays and this one is my favorite (I'm currently testing the Drybar one), just make sure to condition your hair well after you use it because it tends to be drying.
* Alterna Caviar CC Cream is a beautiful multi-purpose hair product that can be used on damp or dry hair. It is a 10-in-1 product claiming to provide moisture, shine, smoothness, softness, anti-breakage, heat protection, light hold, UV protection, manageability and strength. Like I said, I don't do much to style my hair and I use heat tools only a few times a year, so I can't vouch for all of it's claims, but I do know that this product makes my hair super shiny, smooth and soft. I will run it through the bottom half of damp hair as well as in the very ends of dry hair and it looks lovely. Plus is smells amazing!
* Living Proof Amp Instant Texture Volumizer is a creamy-wax formulation that adds a touchable hold and pieces out layers. It is great for people with short layers and short hair. Just warm some up on your fingertips and fluff your hair in an upwards motion around the crown of your head.
If you don't already have any natural volume you will want to use a teasing comb, this one is made with boar bristles and it's only $8 from Sephora. You just lift up sections of your hair near the roots, and lightly back comb.
Even though I don't style my hair in the fashion below, those are the types of photos I bring in when I get my hair cut. I love all the layers and the razored edges of these cuts and how they have a distinct shape. I want my volume to be around the top of my head while the ends remain thinner and pointed, so bringing pictures with you really helps your stylist understand what you're looking for.
In a fantasy world, I'd love to be brave enough to dye my hair a rich red, a lavender or a grey-blue, but I'm not sure I'd be able to commit to the upkeep that it would require.
I did a test using Photoshop to see if I could pull off a crazy color, which shade is your favorite? If you could have any hair color, what would you choose?
Visit my Pinterest if you guys want to see more hair inspiration photos!